Here you will find sources of information such as market research (statistics, trends, developments), key companies, trade magazines, newsletters, and Internet sources.
This guide will be useful to anyone starting a business within the fashion industry and also for those wanting to further their knowledge within this area.
accessible via electronic databases
The Cobra database contains practical fact-sheets on all aspects of starting, running and managing a small business – including information on writing business plans, marketing, company structures etc.
It also covers the practical aspects of how to start and run particular types of businesses – outlining necessary skills, regulations, licences and legislation etc. and highlights other sources of information and advice available.
Business Opportunity Profiles (BOP)
Business Information Fact Sheets (BIF)
|The UK Code of Non-broadcast Advertising and Direct and Promotional Marketing (the CAP Code)
Sources of Business Information (SOU)
|Advertising Standards Authority
|Committees of Advertising Practice
|Internet Advertising Bureau;
|Institute of Practitioners in Advertising;
Sector Guide (SEC)
|Advertising and Marketing
Small Business Help Books
This is a collection of books located in the Business & IP Centre with practical information aimed at those starting and running a business. The books listed below can be found in the Small Business Help section under the Business Topics category.
Spending Advertising Money in the Digital Age: How to Navigate the Media Flow by Hamish Pringle (Kogan Page, 2011) [SBH.MSM.105]
Has contributions from leading figures in the media industry and contains examples of top campaigns with demonstrable results in the marketplace.
Copywriting: successful writing for design, advertising and marketing by Mark Shaw (Lawrence King, 2009) [SBH. PDIP.13]
Successful Copywriting in a Week by Robert Ashton (Teach Yourself Books, 2012) [SBH. STAR.87]
Return of the Hustle by Eric Sheinkop (Palgrave Macmillan, 2016) [SBH.MSM.87]
Dictionary of Advertising and Marketing Concepts by Arthur Asa Berger (Left Coast Press, 2013) [SBH MSM.144]
Mobile Marketing: how mobile technology is revolutionizing marketing, communications and advertising by Daniel Rowles (Kogan Page, 2017)
Creative Direction in a Digital World: a guide to being a modern creative director by Adam Harrell (CRC Press, 2016) [SBH. MSM.35]
Communications writing and design: the integrated manual for marketing, advertising, and public relations by John DiMarco (John Wiley & Sons, Inc., 2017) [SBH. MSM.31]
Advertising: what everyone needs to know by Mara Einstein (Oxford University Press, 2017) [SBH.MSM16]
Market Research & Statistics
If you are planning on starting a business you will need to be aware of the latest trends, developments and opportunities within your industry which can all be found from market research.
Market research also covers market size and forecasts, consumer demographics and attitudes, the key players and products and will often include SWOT and PEST analysis showing areas of strength, weakness, opportunities etc.
(selection of UK-related titles published in July-2019-January 2020)
- UK Broadcast Video-on-Demand Ad Spending, 2017-2025 (millions of £) October 4, 2019
- Allocation of Marketing Budget for Companies in North America and the UK, by Marketing Channel, Aug 2019 (% of total) October 1, 2019
- Issues that Pose the Greatest Threat to Marketing in 2020 According to Marketers in France, Germany and the UK, Sep 2019 (% of respondents) September 30, 2019
- How Much Do US/UK App Developers See Advertisers' Budget for In-App Ads Changing? (% of respondents, June 2019) September 30, 2019
- Current vs. Projected Percent of Digital Ad Budget Allocated to In-App Ads According to US/UK Marketers, June 2019 (% of respondents) September 30, 2019
- What Do US/UK Marketers See as the Advantages of Advertising in Mobile Games? (% of respondents, June 2019) September 30, 2019.
- Which App Ad Formats Do US/UK App Developers Use and Find Most Engaging? (% of respondents, June 2019) September 30, 2019
- Marketing Channels that Help Organizations Reach Customers Most Effectively According to B2B Decision Makers in Select Countries, Aug 2019 (% of respondents) September 24, 2019
- Media Type that Most Influences Purchases According to US and UK Children/Teens (% of respondents, July 2019) September 17, 2019
- How Comfortable Are Consumers in Great Britain With Targeted Ads? (% of respondents, April 2019) September 9, 2019
- Which Influencer Marketing Labels/Hashtags Do UK Social Media Users Recall Seeing? (% of respondents, by age, March 2019) September 5, 2019
- UK Daily Social Network Users, by Platform and Age, March 2019 (% of respondents) September 5, 2019.
- Consumer Attitudes on Marketing 2019: Privacy Concerns Mount, and Ad Blocking Isn’t Going Away August 29, 2019
- What Challenges Do UK Marketers Face When Running Influencer Marketing Campaigns? (% of respondents, April 2019) August 12, 2019
- UK Net TV and Digital Video Ad Revenues, by Source, 2013-2018 (billions of £) August 7, 2019
- Digital Ad Spending by Industry 2019 August 1, 2019
- Boris and Brexit: How No-Deal Might Affect the UK Advertising Industry August 1, 2019
- UK Total Media Ad Spending, by Media, 2018-2020 (millions of £ and % change) July 30, 2019
- Ad Blocking Growth Is Slowing Down, but Not Going Away July 28, 2019
- On Which Devices Do UK Internet Users Have Ad Blocking Software Installed? (% of respondents, July 2018 & July 2019) July 18, 2019
- Ad Blocking User Penetration in France, Germany and the UK, 2018-2021 (% of internet users) July 15, 2019
- Advertising Agencies in the UK - Market Research Report (August 2019). Provides figures for overall size and annual growth of the industry, and market share of the major companies.
- Digital Advertising Agencies in the UK - Market Research Report (January 2020). Provides figures for industry performance, competitive landscape, major companies, operating conditions.
- Digital Advertising UK (June 2019)
- Category overview: Media and Advertising Constantly updated aggregation of media and advertising news, trends, reports, statistics, brand research, analyst insights and consumer data.
In addition, most Mintel reports have a subsection “Advertising and Marketing Activity”.
Printed Market Research Reports
(Please ask for help in finding these)
Advertising Expenditure Forecasts (Zenith Optimedia, 2017) [(B) MKT 659.1 BUS]
Provides global and regional summaries in addition to forecasts for 80 individual countries worldwide.
Mobile Advertising Forecasts (Zenith Optimedia, 2017) [(B) MKT 338.4765914]
Contains tables forecasting advertising figures up to 2019 for 65 countries.
Business News & Journals
In order to find the latest news on your topic it is always worth searching Factiva, Business Source Complete and EMIS.
You will find articles from specialist business and academic journals, as well as newspapers and magazines. You may also find market research reports and case studies. As well as profiles of leading industry figures.
You will also find articles covering recent developments, and predicting future trends in your industry.
Trade Magazines and Newsletters
Useful for gaining inside knowledge, recent trends, industry news, company profiles, reviews of new products and services. Some contain annual reviews and company contact lists. Ordered via Explore the British Library (please ask for help).
Bellwether Report: IPA quarterly survey of marketing expenditure (Markit Economics, quarterly) [(P) AQ 93-E(29)], monitors marketing, advertising, sales promotion and direct marketing expenditure in the UK.
Campaign (Haymarket Business Media, bimonthly) [(P) AQ 93-E (8)]
News, features, awards and appointments information for the United Kingdom advertising industry.
Marketing Week (Centaur Media, weekly) [(P) AQ 89 - E (2)]
News and analysis of the UK marketing industry with a global perspective.
Contain lists of companies and industry contacts. Some have annual industry reviews, and specialist articles. Included here are directories that have been published from 2014 onwards. Earlier directories may also be found on open shelves in the Directories section of the Business & IP Centre.
The Directory of Advertising, Branding, Creative and Digital Agencies in Healthcare (PM Group, 2017) [(B) DIR 659.19615102541]
Aimed specifically at clients in the pharmaceutical and healthcare sectors. With detailed profiles for 26 agencies, plus an A – Z index of 100 agencies.
Overseas Media Guide 2019 52nd Edition (London: Overseas Press & Media Association) [(B) DIR 659.13]
Provides an indispensable guide for anyone planning or placing overseas advertising.
A List: A guide to who's who in media, marketing and advertising (Haymarket Management Publications, 2019) [(B) DIR 659.0922], contains brief biographical profiles of over 300 individuals in the advertising industry.
Websites containing free sources of industry statistics, information and contacts.
Resources for the worldwide advertising community.
Marketing and advertising news and analysis from the USA and the rest of the world. Includes profiles of the top 100 advertisers in the US and profiles of the world's top 30 agencies.
Federation of 30 trade bodies representing the advertising and promotional marketing industries including advertisers, agencies, media and support services.
An independent, self-regulatory body for non-broadcast advertisements in the UK ensuring that advertisements are legal, decent, honest and truthful.
Contains some two million items of advertising, marketing, media, public relations and related material, together with a supporting library of books and periodicals. The oldest material is the archive of R.F.White (c.1800), the UK's first ad agency; the newest is last month's TV commercials.
Represents the interests of UK advertisers in all areas of marketing communications, including TV advertising, new media, press, radio, outdoor, direct marketing, sponsorship and sales promotion.
Trade body and professional institute for leading agencies in the UK's advertising, media and marketing communications industry.
OFCOM is the independent regulator and competition authority for the UK communications industries, with responsibilities across television, radio, telecommunications and wireless communications services. OFCOM frequently publishes research on broadcast advertising matters.
Please note that every effort has been taken to ensure the accuracy of the information, however some recently acquired items may since have been added to the collection. Please ask for help at the enquiry desk or check the online catalogue Explore the British Library for more details.
Images by Ibragenius, Richard Cocks, Ballistik Coffee Boy under a Creative Commons license