Energy Industry Guide
Here you will find sources of information such as market research (statistics, trends, developments), key companies, trade magazines, newsletters, and Internet sources.
This guide will be useful to anyone starting a business within the energy industry and also for those wanting to further their knowledge within this area.
It also covers the practical aspects of how to start and run particular types of businesses – outlining necessary skills, regulations, licences and legislation etc. and highlights other sources of information and advice available.
Business Opportunity Profiles (BOP)
|Renewable Energy Installer||2018||BOP567|
|Gas and Central Heating Engineer||2018||BOP002|
Mini Business Profile (MBP)
|Bioenergy Crop Growing||2017||MBP057|
Business Information Factsheets (BIF)
|A Guide to the Electricity at Work Regulations 1989||2019||BIF308|
Market Research & Statistics
Market research also covers market size and forecasts, consumer demographics and attitudes, the key players and products and will often include SWOT and PEST analysis showing areas of strength, weakness, opportunities etc.
- Wind Power Generation in the UK. January 2020
- Petroleum & Natural Gas Support Activities in the UK December 2019 Covers development wells, appraisal wells, exploration wells, decommissioning activity and other services.
- Lithium Battery Manufacturing in the UK December 2019
- Waste-to-Energy Plant Operation in the UK December 2019
- Hard Coal Mining in the UK October 2019
- Gas Supply in the UK September 2019 Covers the potential impact of Brexit.
- Petrol Stations in the UK September 2019 Covers the potential impact of Brexit.
- Petroleum Refining in the UK August 2019 Lists products as: petrol; diesel; jet fuel; gas oil; fuel oil, LPG; biofuels.
- Gas Distribution in the UK August 2019
- Electricity Production in the UK July 2019 Includes all energy sources, including renewables.
- Electricity Distribution in the UK July 2019 Covers the potential impact of Brexit.
- Renewable Energy Generation in the UK July 2019 Covers: offshore wind power; onshore wind power; solar energy; hydropower; ocean and geothermal power; biomass energy.
- Electricity & Telecommunications Infrastructure Construction in the UK June 2019
- Industrial Gas Manufacturing in the UK July 2019
- Nuclear Fuel Processing in the UK June 2019 Industry operators produce nuclear fuel for use in power stations by processing new material or reprocessing spent fuel.
- Electricity Supply in the UK May 2019 The Electricity Supply industry's activities comprise the final phase in the electricity delivery process.
- Electric Motor, Generator & Transformer Manufacturing in the UK April 2019
- Electricity Distribution & Control Apparatus Manufacturing in the UK March 2019
- Fuel Wholesaling in the UK March 2019 Includes the wholesale of charcoal, coal, coke, fuel wood, naphtha, crude oil, diesel fuel, petrol, fuel oil, heating oil, kerosene, greases, oils and gases such as liquefied petroleum gas (LPG), butane and propane.
- Electricity Transmission in the UK February 2019 The Electricity Transmission industry is responsible for carrying electricity from power stations to the low-voltage distribution network.
- Renewable Energy Expansion Opportunities for B2B Sectors 26 Apr 2018. Briefing
Frost & Sullivan publish many reports analysing market and technological developments within the global energy market. The following list is a selection of titles dated from January 2019 onwards:
- Outlook for the Global Energy Storage Industry, 2020. 2020.
- Global Smart Energy Meters Market, Forecast to 2025. 2019.
- Global Li-Ion Batteries Market, Forecast to 2025. 2019.
- Global Uninterruptible Power Supplies Market, Forecast to 2025. 2019.
- Global Solar PV Power Market, Forecast to 2025. 2019.
- Global Direct Current (DC) Programmable Power Supplies and Electronic Loads, Market Forecast to 2024. 2019.
- Global Alternating Current (AC) Programmable Power Supply Market, Forecast to 2024. 2019.
- Global Smart Grid Analytics Market, Forecast to 2025. 2019.
- Global Power and Cooling in the Data Centre Market, Forecast to 2025. 2019.
- Grid Scale Energy Storage: Innovations and Emerging Opportunities 2019.
- Technological Advancements and Emerging applications of Fuel Cells. 2019.
- Technological Advancements in Metals Enhancing Energy Generation. 2019.
- Global Non-Renewable Inverter Market Forecast to 2025. 2019.
- Emerging Technologies Transforming Offshore Wind Energy. 2019.
- Growth Opportunity Analysis of Global UPS Battery Market 2018. 2019.
- Innovations in Renewable Energy, Waste Heat Recovery, Carbon Capture, and Energy Storage. 2019.
- Utility 4.0 – Impact of Industrial Internet Of Things IIoT) on the Global Power Industry. 2019.
- Growth Opportunities in the Stationary Fuel Cell Market. Opportunities to 2030. 2019.
- Technology Innovations in the Global Wind Energy Market, 2030. 2019.
- Global Solar Photovoltaic (PV) Services Market, Forecast to 2025. 2019.
- Global Gas Generator Set Market, Forecast to 2022. 2019.
- Global Trends in Electricity Distribution Network Intelligence. 2019.
- Commercial Battery Energy Storage Market in Key Markets, Forecast to 2025. 2019.
Titles published 2017 onwards. (Please ask for help in finding these)
Electricity Information (International Energy Agency, 2019) General Reference Collection UNP.768a/13
Provides detailed statistics for the 30 OECD member countries. Statistics include production by type, consumption by sector, electricity produced by fuel, electricity imports and exports, energy prices for industry and households, etc.
World Energy Outlook (International Energy Agency, 2018) [Document Supply Centre, Yorkshire: OPD.9.x.24]
Data includes projections of global energy trends for supply and demand of oil, gas, coal, renewable energy sources, nuclear power and electricity.
Coal Information (International Energy Agency, 2019) General Reference Collection UNP.108/508.
Comprehensive tables of coal statistics and graphs, 1971 – 2018.
BP Statistical Review of World Energy, June 2019 (British Petroleum, 2019) [(B) MKT 333.79]
Consumption and production data by energy type including renewable sources for over 70 countries.
PE Outlook 2018 (Petroleum Economist Ltd., 2018) [(B) MKT 333.790112]
Energy markets and politics in the year ahead.
Clarksons Research Offshore Review & Outlook (Clarksons Research, 2019) [(B) MKT 338.2728]
Half yearly review of world-wide offshore trends.
Trade Magazines & NewslettersA few of these are held in the Business & IP Centre, but most are held on open shelves in the Science 2 and Science 3 Reading Rooms. A few are in the SPIS National Statistics Collection, held in the Social Sciences Reading Room. Only included here are publications for which the latest edition held is dated July 2018 or later.
Energy: GeneralEnergy Industry Times (Man in Black Media, monthly)
[(P) 333.79-E(7)] in Business & IP Centre
Energy focus / EIC (Today Media, semi-annual)
[(P) 333.79 -E(3)] in Science 2 Reading Room
Energy Risk (Incisive Financial Publishing Ltd., monthly)
[(P) BY33 –E(7)] in Science 2 Reading Room
Energy World (Institute of Energy, monthly)
[P.513/1182] General Reference Collection – must be ordered via Explore The British Library catalogue
Energie und Management (Herrsching Energie & Management Verlagsgesellschaft mbH
[(P) BY 32 -G(5)] in Science 2 Reading Room
Oil, gas, coal and electricity quarterly statistics (International Energy Agency, quarterly).
[(P) NP 941 -E(6)] in Science 3 Reading Room
UK power news (Global Media Publishing, bimonthly)
[(P) 333.79094105 -E(2)] in Science 2 Reading Room
World energy statistics (International Energy Agency, semi-annual)
[(P) 333.79021 -E(2)] in Science 2 Reading Room
The energy journal (Oelgeschlager, Gunn & Hain, quarterly)
[(P) BY 32 -E(64)] in Science 2 Reading Room
Energy compass (Energy Intellegence Group, weekly)
[(P) NP 93 –E(11)] in Science 3 Reading Room
Oil & Liquid Petroleum Gas (all in Science 3 Reading Room unless otherwise stated)
Downstream: the oil distributors' publication (Federation of Petroleum Suppliers, 5 issues/year)
[(P) NR 15 -E(1)]
Oil & tanker trades outlook (Clarkson Research Studies, monthly)
[(P) NP 92 -E(2)] Issues from 2018 onwards available in electronic format only
Petroleum economist (Petroleum Economist, monthly)
[(P) NP 93 -E(5)]
Oil review Middle East (Alain Charles, 7-8 issues per year)
[(P) NP 93 -E(17)]
World expro: the international review of hydrocarbon exploration and production technology (SPG Media, semi-annual)
[(P) NQ 13 -E(7)]
World bunkering (Maritime Media, quarterly)
[(P) NT 20 -E(3)]
Bunkerspot: independent intelligence for the global bunker industry (Petrospot, bimonthly)
[(P) 338.47 -E(1)] in Science 2 Reading Room
LP-gas (New York, etc., monthly)
[(P) NR 64 -E(3)]
LNG journal (Nelton Publications, 10 issues yearly)
[(P) NR 64 -E(6)]
Butane-propane news (Western Business Papers, monthly)
[(P) NR 81 -E(1)]
Annual statistical bulletin - Organization of the Petroleum Exporting Countries (OPEC Statistics Unit, annual)
[(P) NP 941 –E(4)]
Petroleum review (Energy Institute, monthly)
[(P) NP 942 –E(1)]
Oilfield technology magazine (Palladian Publications, monthly)
[(P) 338.2728 –E(3)]
Offshore intelligence monthly (Clarkson Research Services Limited, monthly)
[(P) 338.2728205 -E(1)]
GasWorld gas intelligence (Energy Intelligence Group, fortnightly)
In electronic format: Electronic Legal Deposit collection.
Gaz d'aujourd'hui (Société du Journal des Usines à Gaz, 10 issues yearly)
[(P) NN 00 -F(3)] in Science 3 reading room
CoalInternational mining (Cii Publishing, monthly)
[(P) 338.2 -E(1)] in Science 2 Reading Room
Coal international (FMJ International, bimonthly)
[(P) NK 50 -E(3)] in Science 3 Reading Room
Sustainable/renewable energy technologiesBiofuels international (Horseshoe Media, bimonthly)
[(P) 333.9539 -E(3)] in Science 2 Reading Room
Bioenergy insight (Horseshoe Media, quarterly)
[(P) 333.953905 -E(2)] in Science 2 Reading Room
Carbon capture journal (Carbon capture journal, bimonthly)
[(P) 628.532 -E(1)] in Science 2 Reading Room
Sonne, Wind & Wärme (Bielefelder Verlagsanstalt,monthly)
[(P) UB 00 -G(4)] in Social Sciences Reading Room
Nuclear energyNuclear news (American Nuclear Society, monthly)
[(P) PW 179 -E(1)] in Science 3 Reading Room
Nuclear future: journal of the Institution of Nuclear Engineers and the British Nuclear Energy Society (Barker Brooks Communications, bimonthly)
[(P) PW 00 -E(15)] in Science 3 Reading Room
Business News & Journals
In order to find the latest news on your topic it is always worth searching Factiva, Business Source Complete and EMIS.
You will find articles from specialist business and academic journals, as well as newspapers and magazines. You may also find market research reports and case studies. As well as profiles of leading industry figures.
You will also find articles covering recent developments, and predicting future trends in your industry.
UK and global titles published from 2016, contains lists of companies and contacts. Some have annual industry reviews and specialist articles.
The Energy Supply Handbook (Reed Business Information, 2019) [(B) DIR 333.7902541]
Directory of UK suppliers, including who’s who names list; list of power stations. Including those planned and under construction.
Pegasus Oil & Gas Directory (Pegasus Energy UK Ltd, 2018) [(B) DIR 338.272802941]
Directory provides contact information on c.3,000 UK based companies listed under c.400 product and service headings. Cover energy producers, manufacturers and service providers in oil and gas, and also the wind, hydro, tidal, wave, solar and bio energy sectors.
2018 Worldwide Gen-Set and Cogeneration Directory (Global Media Publishing, 2018) [(B) DIR 333.793]
International directory of 2,000 manufacturers and service providers.
Plunkett's renewable, alternative & hydrogen energy industry almanac. (Plunkett Research, USA. 2018). [(B) DIR 333.794]
Directory of companies. International, but with strong U.S. bias.
2018 World Nuclear Industry Handbook (Global Trade Media Ltd., UK, 2016) [(B)DIR 333.7924025]
Lists contact details of companies worldwide; gives specifications of nuclear reactors worldwide.
Internet SourcesWebsites containing free sources of industry statistics, information and contacts. Included here are websites that have been updated in 2018 or 2019.
United KingdomProvides access to a vast array of statistics, publications, legislation and policy documents.
This series brings together all documents relating to total energy statistics.
Quarterly bulletin containing statistics on all major aspects of energy in the UK.
These tables show a variety of renewable electricity data for the devolved administrations and the regions of England.
Provides membership, assurance and skills solutions to help employers attract, develop and retain a sustainable, skilled workforce, Membership is comprised of the major infrastructure companies within water, power, gas and waste management.
The trade association for the energy industry. Promotes the interests of members who generate electricity including those from renewable energy technologies.
Trade and professional body for the UK renewable energy industry. Formerly the British Wind energy Association, it still has a certain bias towards wind energy. Describes itself as “The voice of wind and marine energy”.
Trade association. Provides a members’ list of over 670 UK companies that supply capital goods and services to the energy industries world-wide. (N.B. this site has not been updated since 2012.)
Royal Charter membership organisation for the energy industries representing almost 12,000 professionals nationally and internationally.
Companies providing waste management and associated environmental services, including energy generation from waste.
Promotes renewable power production and supports renewable power production across all technologies.
Solar Trade Association (STA)Companies with business interests in the solar energy industry.
CSE aims to advance sustainable energy policy and practice.
Non-profit organisation set up by the government which aims to achieve the sustainable and efficient use of energy, to cut the carbon dioxide emissions which are the key contributor to global warming.
An independent charity that works to improve the use of energy in buildings.
Price-comparing website for renewable-energy installations.
Co-ordinating body that carries out research into sustainable energy systems at a number of laboratories across the UK.
Information resource for UK consumers on how to switch to renewable energy sources, including details of local installers.
InternationalAn intergovernmental body advancing security of energy supply, economic growth and environmental sustainability through energy policy co-operation.
World Energy Council (WEC)Global multi-energy organisation with Member Committees in over 90 countries. Organisation covers all types of energy including renewable sources.
The United Nations agency promoting peaceful uses of nuclear energy. The About Us page includes a link to Procurements and Business Opportunities.
Non-profit organisation affiliated to UNESCO aims to promote the communication and technical education of scientists, engineers, technicians and managers and to apply itself to the energy needs of developing and developed countries.
International organization representing the global nuclear industry. Aims to promote a wider understanding of nuclear energy by producing authoritative information, developing common industry positions, and contributing to the energy debate.
Non-profit making organisation aims to promote the use of renewable energy.
Association actively promotes the utilisation of wind power in Europe and worldwide.
Please note that every effort has been taken to ensure the accuracy of the information, however some recently acquired items may since have been added to the collection. Please ask for help at the enquiry desk or check the online catalogue Explore the British Library for more details.
Images by btsiders, Mr. Flibble, Schwarzerkater under a Creative Commons license