The what, the why and the how of purpose: a guide for leaders
- Document type
- Discussion paper
- Ebert, Charlie, Hurth, Victoria, Prabhu, Jaideep
- Chartered Management Institute
- Date of publication
- 30 July 2018
- Management & leadership: including strategy, public sector management, operations and production, People management: all aspects of managing people
- Business and management
- Material type
This discussion paper, based on 14 in-depth interviews with senior executives from companies across eight industries and a round-table discussion, looks at what purpose is and how organisations can use it to help drive performance.
- Definition of what purpose in business is - with five insights from leading employers.
- What makes purpose different from Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR), mission and vision.
- Why companies are becoming more purpose-driven
- Three considerations for adopting and implementing an organisational purpose.
- Conclusions and recommendations.
- References and further reading.
Related to Management & leadership: including strategy, public sector management, operations and production
Downloadable white paper defining what organsiational purpose is and how it can help drive performance.
Downloadable report looking at what employers think should be done to help prepare students for working life.
Downloadable report on trade and business planning for Brexit
Downloadable report ranking the UK's largest listed companies based on their corporate governance performance
Related to Chartered Management Institute
Working paper on the distribution of socio-emotional skills in two different cohorts
A review of the Department of Health and Social Care's Funding Reform Model
Downloadable paper on minimum wages in the UK