Find selected public health information and research publications that are freely available to support the public, researchers and policymakers during the current Covid-19 pandemic.
About the collection
On 30 January 2020 the World Health Organisation (WHO) declared a Public Health Emergency of International Concern for COVID-19.
The Wellcome Trust issued a joint statement on 31 January 2020 stating that “We [Wellcome Trust] call on researchers, journals and funders to ensure that research findings and data relevant to this outbreak are shared rapidly and openly to inform the public health response and help save lives.”
The list of signatories to this latest declaration included publishers, funding bodies and research organisations. The websites for each signatory were checked and links to collated collections and resources are included in this guide.
We are adding more links to Covid-19 material to our catalogue all the time, so do please search Explore as well.
Please note that the material below may not remain free to access in the medium to long term.
What is available online?
Public health information
- UK NHS - Advice for everyone
- UK NHS 111 - Check if you have coronavirus symptoms
- Centres for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)
- National Institutes of Health
- World Health Organisation (WHO)
- Cochrane has two special collections: Evidence relevant to critical care and infection control and prevention measures
- London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine
- PubMed Central (PMC)
- WHO Global research on coronavirus disease (COVID-19) including research database – updated daily Monday to Friday
- The Global Health Network
- U.S. National Library of Medicine LitCovid
Journal publishers’ collections of articles reporting research outcomes:
- Annals of internal medicine
- Cambridge University Press
- Chinese Medical Publishing House
- Cell Press
- Healthcare Infection Society
- Karger Publishers
- New England Journal of Medicine
- Oxford University Press
- SAGE Publishing
- Springer Nature
- Taylor and Francis
- The Lancet
The following preprint servers facilitate the early release of research findings. The articles here will not have been peer-reviewed:
What is available in our Reading Rooms?
All the information in this guide can be accessed outside of our Reading Rooms (currently closed).