- Antiquarianism (1)
- Art (6)
- Buddhism (1)
- Capturing and creating the modern (1)
- Comedies (4)
- Context (2)
- Deception drama and misunderstanding (2)
- Devotional texts (4)
- Elizabethan England (2)
- Ethnicity and identity (2)
- Exploring identity (1)
- Gender sexuality courtship and marriage (5)
- Global Shakespeare (1)
- Hinduism (2)
- Histories (1)
- Illuminated texts (1)
- Islam (5)
- Jainism (1)
- Judaism (2)
- Literature 1900 1950 (1)
- Living Texts (4)
- Magic illusion and the supernatural (2)
- Military and maritime (2)
- Pilgrimage text and place (1)
- Poetry (1)
- Power and politics (6)
- Religion (3)
- Renaissance writers (5)
- Sacred texts (4)
- Scholarship (4)
- Science and nature (1)
- The Greek World (5)
- The makers of Greek manuscripts (6)
- The origins of writing (1)
- Town and city (1)
- Tragedies (4)
- Transforming topography (1)
- Zoroastrianism (1)
- al Qazwīnī, Zakarīyā ibn Muḥammad (1)
- Alcaeus (author) (1)
- Anacreon (author) (1)
- Angelos Bergikios (scribe) (1)
- Aristeas Judaeus (author) (1)
- Athenaeus (author) (1)
- George Kokolos (scribe) (1)
- Heron of Alexandria (author) (3)
- Ibycus (author) (1)
- Ioannes Nathanael (scribe) (1)
- Isḥāq ibn Ibrāhīm al Naysābūrī (1)
- Johannes Cuno (scribe) (1)
- John Kladas (composer) (1)
- John Mauromates (scribe) (1)
- Justin Martyr (author) (1)
- Kamāl al Dīn Ḥusayn Gāzurgāhī (1)
- Laonikos Chalkokondyles (author) (1)
- Manuel Chrysaphes (composer) (1)
- Manuel Philes (author) (1)
- Marco Musuro (scribe) (1)
- Margaret Douglas (1)
- Mary Fitzroy (1)
- Mary Shelton (1)
- Muḥyī Lārī [Muhyi Al Din Lari] (1)
- Peter Matryr (1)
- Pieter Bruegel (the Elder) (1)
- Richard Baines (1)
- Richard Eden [translator] (1)
- Sappho (author) (1)
- Stesichorus (author) (1)
- Thomas Kyd (1)
- Unknown (3)
- Zacharias Kalliergis (scribe) (1)
Showing 37 results
The Haram at Mecca with the Kaʻbah in the centre, from a manuscript of Futūḥ al-Ḥaramayn, a poetical description of the...
A deluxe copy of the Majālis al-ʻushshāq (‘Assemblies of lovers’), a collection of seventy-six biographies of Sufi saint...
This topographical and military account of the state of the Scottish Marches was written around 1569, and includes a des...
These notorious manuscripts appear to support the idea of Christopher Marlowe as the wild boy of Elizabethan literature....
An illustrated copy of the 13th-century writer al-Qazwīnī’s ʻAjāʼib al-makhlūqāt (‘Wonders of creation’) produced in the...
The 15th and 16th centuries saw an outburst of scholarly interest in Greek literature in western Europe. The arrival of...
The 3rd-century CE author Athenaeus is known today for his long work, the Deipnosophistae (‘Dinner Sophists’). This work...
The original binding of Additional 28821, a volume containing Byzantine musical texts, is now kept separately, having de...
The catena, a biblical commentary that proceeds verse by verse, was a popular interpretative tool in the Byzantine world...
An illustrated palm-leaf manuscript of the Devī Māhātmya, a devotional text in praise of Durgā. Made in Bhaktapur, Nepal...
This book was influential in defining 16th-century European attitudes towards the ‘New World’ of the Americas. It commun...
Greek colonists took the alphabet to Italy, where the Etruscans changed it to suit their needs. These 16th-century notes...
Ongoing developments in Greek music resulted in the appearance of the ‘kalophonic’ (beautiful-sounding) style of chant. ...
The Byzantine poet Manuel Philes (c. 1275–c. 1345) is best known now for his work De Animalium Proprietate (‘On the Natu...
The treatises of Hero of Alexandria (mid-1st century CE) on pneumatics and automata were hugely popular in the Byzantine...