- Art (6)
- Comedies (2)
- Context (4)
- Deception drama and misunderstanding (2)
- Devotional texts (3)
- Elizabethan England (2)
- Gender sexuality courtship and marriage (3)
- Global Shakespeare (2)
- Hinduism (2)
- Histories (1)
- Illuminated texts (1)
- Interpretations of Madness (1)
- Islam (5)
- Jainism (1)
- Judaism (2)
- Language word play and text (1)
- Living Texts (4)
- Magic illusion and the supernatural (2)
- Military and maritime (1)
- Pilgrimage text and place (1)
- Poetry (2)
- Power and politics (3)
- Religion (3)
- Renaissance writers (3)
- Sacred texts (4)
- Scholarship (4)
- Science and nature (1)
- The Greek World (5)
- The makers of Greek manuscripts (6)
- Tragedies (4)
- Zoroastrianism (1)
- "ʻAbd al Raḥmān Jāmī" (1)
- al Qazwīnī, Zakarīyā ibn Muḥammad (1)
- Alcaeus (author) (1)
- Alexander Faber (1)
- Anacreon (author) (1)
- Angelos Bergikios (scribe) (1)
- Aristeas Judaeus (author) (1)
- Athenaeus (author) (1)
- Edward Johnson [composer] (1)
- George Kokolos (scribe) (1)
- Heron of Alexandria (author) (3)
- Ibycus (author) (1)
- Ioannes Nathanael (scribe) (1)
- Isḥāq ibn Ibrāhīm al Naysābūrī (1)
- Johannes Cuno (scribe) (1)
- John Kladas (composer) (1)
- John Mauromates (scribe) (1)
- Justin Martyr (author) (1)
- Kamāl al Dīn Ḥusayn Gāzurgāhī (1)
- Laonikos Chalkokondyles (author) (1)
- Manuel Chrysaphes (composer) (1)
- Manuel Philes (author) (1)
- Marco Musuro (scribe) (1)
- Margaret Douglas (1)
- Mary Fitzroy (1)
- Mary Shelton (1)
- Richard Baines (1)
- Sappho (author) (1)
- Stesichorus (author) (1)
- Thomas Kyd (1)
- Unknown (1)
- unknown [lyricist] (1)
- unknown [scribe] (1)
- Zacharias Kalliergis (scribe) (1)
Showing 31 results
A deluxe copy of the Majālis al-ʻushshāq (‘Assemblies of lovers’), a collection of seventy-six biographies of Sufi saint...
These notorious manuscripts appear to support the idea of Christopher Marlowe as the wild boy of Elizabethan literature....
An illustrated copy of the 13th-century writer al-Qazwīnī’s ʻAjāʼib al-makhlūqāt (‘Wonders of creation’) produced in the...
The 15th and 16th centuries saw an outburst of scholarly interest in Greek literature in western Europe. The arrival of...
The 3rd-century CE author Athenaeus is known today for his long work, the Deipnosophistae (‘Dinner Sophists’). This work...
The catena, a biblical commentary that proceeds verse by verse, was a popular interpretative tool in the Byzantine world...
An illustrated palm-leaf manuscript of the Devī Māhātmya, a devotional text in praise of Durgā. Made in Bhaktapur, Nepal...
Manuscript, Image, Illustration
This early 17th-century manuscript contains unique coloured drawings of the funeral procession of Queen Elizabeth I, who...
Ongoing developments in Greek music resulted in the appearance of the ‘kalophonic’ (beautiful-sounding) style of chant. ...
The Byzantine poet Manuel Philes (c. 1275–c. 1345) is best known now for his work De Animalium Proprietate (‘On the Natu...
The treatises of Hero of Alexandria (mid-1st century CE) on pneumatics and automata were hugely popular in the Byzantine...
Codex of Ketuvim (‘Writings’, the third division of the Hebrew Bible), in Hebrew, Aramaic and Judeo-Arabic. The transla...
Although most of the manuscripts of the works of Hero of Alexandria (1st century CE) in the British Library contain both...
This remarkable manuscript, completed on 7 May 1545, contains a range of treatises on warfare and weaponry, including te...
A deluxe 16th-century Safavid copy of Jāmī’s allegorical romance Yusuf and Zulaykha. The poem Yusuf and Zulaykha The St...