A New Plan of London, Westminster, and Southwark

Description

This Crace Collection map highlights with hand-coloured lines (probably added at a later date) several jurisdictional anomalies. The most obvious is the red line representing the old London Wall, enclosing the City of London, governed by the Mayor and the Corporation and exempt from royal interference. By 1772, the majority of the wall had been demolished, along with the old gates such as Newgate and Cripplegate.

The other two areas enclosed by coloured lines are liberties, namely the Liberty of the Savoy (delineated in yellow) and the Liberty of St. Martin’s le Grand (delineated in blue). Liberties are areas held by a tenant (usually a nobleman or ecclesiastical foundation) as opposed to the Crown and thus independent from and outside of the authority of local government. Some other liberties, such as the Inner and Middle Temples, are not demarcated on this map.

Full title:
A new plan of London, Westminster and Southwark : engraved for Noorthoucks History of London. 1772 / Ashby sculp.
Published:
1772, London
Format:
Map / Engraving
Creator:
John Noorthouck
Usage terms
Public Domain
Held by
British Library
Shelfmark:
Maps Crace Port. 4.139

Full catalogue details

Related articles

Lambeth’s topographical image

Article by:
Amy Concannon
Themes:
Town and city, Transforming topography, Antiquarianism

With important antiquarian sites like Lambeth Palace and places of popular entertainment like Vauxhall Gardens, the London parish of Lambeth was a rich resource for topographical artists and writers at the turn of the 19th century. It was also a landscape in flux: a traditional ‘rural retreat’ on the Surrey side of the Thames undergoing rapid urbanisation. With a particular focus on the work of Lambeth-born topographer Edward Wedlake Brayley (1773–1854), Amy Concannon explores how contemporary producers of topographical material – both visual and textual – negotiated the changing landscape of Lambeth.

Related collection items