Cliffs, fields, roads, shoals and inlets are shown on this King’s Topographical Collection map of Harwich on Essex’s North Sea Coast. Across the Stour and Orwell estuary is the Landguard peninsula, dominated by a seventeenth-century fort built to protect the port of Harwich. An inset map of Landguard Fort is contained within a cartouche at right. Depth soundings are marked to the sea. In 1725, when this map was created, Harwich and Landguard were both within the county of Essex; boundary lines were later re-drawn and today Landguard is part of Suffolk.
- Article by:
- Peter Moore
Peter Moore traces Gainsborough's Suffolk in the maps and views of the King's Topographical Collection.