John Andrews’ map of Wiltshire in 18 sheets was first published in 1773 with a dedication to the local nobility and gentry. In this King’s Topographical Collection impression their seats are recorded with the name of each landowner underneath and with details of their country houses, roads, parks and outbuildings. According to the inscription at top right, William Faden’s improved and corrected second edition relied on the information provided by his dedicatees, Jacob Pleydell-Bouverie, second Earl of Radnor (1750–1828), and Sir Richard Colt Hoare (1758–1838). After travelling extensively through the Continent in the 1780s, Colt Hoare spent most of his time at Stourhead on the western border of Wiltshire, depicted at lower left. His studies of local history and archaeology allowed him to not only assist cartographers like Faden, but also publish The Ancient History of Wiltshire (1812–1819) and The History of Modern Wiltshire (1822–1844).