A view of the Menagerie, and its Pavillion at Kew

Description

The ‘built’ section of the New Menagerie at Kew palace (so-called to distinguish it from a previous collection) consisted of an oval ring of pens known as the Pheasant Ground surrounding a central pond or ‘Bason’ with a Chinoiserie pavilion on a small island. Amongst the enclosures, in which were kept a variety of ‘Chinese and Tartarian Pheasants, besides many Sorts of large Exotick Birds’ as well as waterfowl, was a rustic building later to become the Queen’s Cottage.

The paddocks extending beyond contained a variety of animals, including zebu, a peccary, a quagga (an extinct subspecies of zebra), and famously from 1792, a large breeding group of kangaroos, the first to be seen in England and a rather unlikely source of national pride as the only specimens in Europe. This King's Topographical Collection view was engraved by Charles Grignion after a design by Thomas Sandby.

Full title:
A View of the Menagerie, and its Pavillion at Kew. / T. Sandby delin. ; C. Grignion sculp.
Published:
1763, London
Publisher:  
William Chambers
Format:
Etching / Engraving / View
Creator:
Thomas Sandby, Charles Grignon
Usage terms
Public Domain
Held by
British Library
Shelfmark:
56.i.3.

Full catalogue details

Related articles

Georgian Country Houses and Gardens

Article by:
Dr Karen Limper-Herz
Theme:
Country

As domestic tourism became fashionable in the 18th century so too did interest in country houses and gardens. Karen Limper-Herz takes a closer look at some of the stately homes, and the publications portraying them, that were particularly popular in this period.

Exercises in perspective: A sweeping view of Nottingham Market Place by Thomas Sandby

Article by:
Alexandra Ault
Theme:
Town and city

Alex Ault examines Thomas Sandby's drawings of his home town, Nottingham; paying special attention to a newly reattributed panorama of the city's market square, from the King's Topographical Collection.

The gardens at Kew

Article by:
Jocelyn Anderson
Theme:
Town and city

From 1757 the royal grounds at Kew were transformed with a fabulous scheme of ornamental buildings and pleasure gardens. Engravings in the King’s Topographical Collection document the project, which was undertaken for George III’s mother Augusta. Jocelyn Anderson explores.

Related collection items