St Mary’s Church in West Tofts, Norfolk, was restored and remodelled from 1849 by Augustus Pugin (1812–52). This is Pugin’s drawing of the church’s north aisle. It is a particularly important record because the parish of West Tofts is situated in a British army training zone called the Stanford Battle Area which has been inaccessible to the public since 1942. With the exception of four churches, St Mary’s included, the villages and farms in the Stanford Battle Area have been almost entirely razed by military training exercises.
- Article by:
- Martin Hopkinson
- Antiquarianism, Country
Dawson Turner commissioned drawings by his family and local and nationally-significant artists such as John Sell Cotman to accompany Blomefield’s History of Norfolk. Martin Hopkinson tells the story of Turner’s project, exploring some of its many highlights.