It was common practice in early modern printmaking to repurpose existing engravings. This print of the inner courtyard of Solomon’s Temple was most probably derived from a view first published in Ezechielem Explanationes (1604): a collection of imagined plans and drawings of Solomon’s Temple by the Jesuit architect Juan Battista Villalpando (1552–1608). Villalpando’s conception of the building was the model for engravings in Athanasius Kircher’s (1602–80) treatises on antique and biblical architecture and also for Johann Fischer von Erlach (1656–1723)’s Entwurff einer historischen Architektur, published in multiple English editions from 1721.
This particular adaptation was published by Henry Overton between 1706 and 1739. It shows Inner Court or the Court of Priests (described in 1 Kings 6:36 and 2 Chronicles 4:9), with worshippers and priests gathered around the Altar of Burnt Offering and the Brazen Lavers (ritual basins made of bronze) preparing offerings. The Temple’s architectural features are numbered and correspond to letterpress descriptions below the image.