Description

This globe, together with its terrestrial partner formed part of an interesting publicity strategy.

A new monthly serial, The Geographical Magazine; Or a New Copious, Compleat and Universal System of Geography, was launched in January 1782. As a promotional inducement, subscribers were offered a pair of globes ‘gratis’. The price for the magazine, published by Harrison & Co., was 2 shillings 6 pence per month.

After buying the first 20 editions, readers could acquire a terrestrial globe, and after the 40th edition they could claim its celestial partner.

The collaboration of Wright and Bardin seems to have ended after these globes, but William Bardin and his successors went on to become one of the leading globe-making firms of the 19th century.

In 1799 he published The New British Globes with diameters of 30.5 and 46 centimetres (12 and 18 inches). The Wright/ Bardin globes, and later Bardin’s globes, were also sold by the firm of instrument makers and sellers, W. & S. Jones, whose labels can often be seen on the globes.

Transcript