This view of St James’ Church at Burton Lazars, Leicestershire, was one of the illustrations for John Nichols’ The History and Antiquities of the County of Leicester. It is after a drawing by Nichols’ son-in-law John Pridden. In the churchyard at bottom left Nichols’ twelve-year-old son John Bowyer Nichols can be seen standing with his father and uncle as they prepare to survey the church.
- Article by:
- Julian Pooley
For three generations the Nichols family was central to topographical research and publication. Julian Pooley explores how as editors of the Gentleman’s Magazine, printers of county histories, collectors of manuscripts and founder members of historical societies, John Nichols (1745–1826), John Bowyer Nichols (1779–1863) and John Gough Nichols (1806–1873) were integral to the antiquarian community during a century of change.