King Christian X signs the revised constitution of 1915


This picture features the Danish King Christian X signing the revised Constitution of 5 June 1915, in the presence of the government of Prime Minister Carl Theodor Zahle. They are at the king’s residence, the castle of Amalienborg Slot in Copenhagen.

The Constitution of 1915 was an important step for Denmark towards a far more democratic society. One of its most important provisions was the introduction of a woman’s right to vote. Another was that servants without their own household could also vote.

In addition, election for the Landstinget, the first chamber of the Danish parliament until its abolition in 1953, was made more democratic. The privileged right to vote, for instance, was abolished and replaced by a new system. 75% of the members were elected by voters over 35 years of age (over 25 for elections to the Folketinget, the second chamber of the Danish parliament until 1953) and the remaining 25% were elected by the retiring Landstinget.

As early as 1920 the Constitution was revised once again, as a result of the incorporation of Sønderjylland after the reunification.

Full title:
King Christian X signs the revised constitution of 1915
Usage terms
Creative Commons Attribution Non Commercial No Derivatives licence
Held by
Det Konglige Bibliotek

Related articles

Making and breaking nations

Article by:
Professor David Stevenson
Origins, outbreak and conclusions

World War One resulted in radical changes to national boundaries. Professor David Stevenson explains the changes that took place in Europe's political geography.

Related collection items