In 1552, the young king Edward VI was passing through Hampshire. The students of Winchester College wrote complimentary verses in Latin and Greek in his honour, preserved in this manuscript.
The writers included several future prominent figures, including John Fowler (1537-1578/9), who became a printer on the Continent, and Christopher Johnson (1536?-1597), who would become Headmaster of Winchester only eight years later. Thomas Stapleton (1535-1598) was the only one who could produce a composition in Greek, a short piece in iambics that finishes the volume.
Together with numerous other collections of complimentary verses (all found under Royal 12 A) it was incorporated into the Royal Collections which George II presented to the British Museum in 1757.