Customer needs when transferring tax credits debt to universal credit
- Document type
- Hall, Suzanne; Leary, Katrina; Thompson, Ellie
- Date of publication
- 1 September 2015
- Poverty Alleviation Welfare Benefits and Financial Inclusion
- Social welfare
- Material type
Download (842KB )
This research was conducted by Ipsos MORI on behalf of HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC) to understand what information current and former tax credits customers with overpayments debt need about these debts being transferred to the Universal Credit system. The objectives of the study were to:
- Explore customers’ awareness of the overpayment debts they have and how they feel about them.
- Understand how customers are likely to react when they are informed about the transfer of their debt and what information and communications are needed to make this experience as positive as possible.
- Explore reactions to joint tax credits debt being jointly split and are being asked to repay old debts which they had not previously known about.
- Highlight the optimum design for the debt summary statement and the notice to pay that provides customers with the level and type of information they need and through the most desirable channel.
This report contains findings from 30 depth interviews with tax credits customers and 10 interviews with support organisations.
Related to HMRC
This research was conducted by Ipsos MORI on behalf of HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC) to understand what information current and former tax credits customers with overpayments debt need about these
The Government has been clear in its commitment to reduce tax avoidance and support enterprise and those who choose to work for themselves. The Government believes that the tax system should continue
Child benefit statistics: geographical analysis at country, region, local authority and Parliamentary constituency levels: August 2013
This publication includes details of the number of families claiming Child Benefit as at 31 August 2013, the number and ages of children within those families and their geographical location. Population
This document provides detailed information on how the government has distributed Child and Working Tax Credits. Each release consists of two publications: the main publication and the geographical