This rare, customised edition of the Holy Bible was presented as a gift to a Miss Mary Robinson on her wedding. It appears to have been bound especially for the occasion by Benjamin Frye, a bookbinder based in Halifax, Yorkshire. The copy is in three volumes, each featuring a painted fore-edge depicting St Paul’s Cathedral, Solomon’s Temple and Arley Hall in Lancashire.
A hand-written dedication shows that the Bible – a 1785 copy edited by Clement Cruttwell – was commissioned by Robinson’s father-in-law to be, John Johnson. Johnson was a landowner whose family seat was Arley Hall. Benjamin Frye’s original binder’s ticket also survives.
Displayed here is the fore-edge painting of Arley Hall, along with a pen and ink drawing of the Hall which appears at the bottom of an attached manuscript note detailing binding instructions.
- Full title:
- The Holy Bible ... Carefully printed from the first edition - compared with others - of the present translation. With notes by ... Thomas Wilson, D.D., Lord Bishop of Sodor and Man: and various renderings collected from other translations by the Reverend Clement Cruttwell, the editor
- Bath, Gloucestershire
- Fore-edge painting / View / Book
- Usage terms
Public Domain in most countries other than the UK.
- Held by
- British Library
- Article by:
- Alice Rylance-Watson
- Antiquarianism, Transforming topography
Alice Rylance-Watson explores the practice of fore-edge painting – the painting of an image on the edge of a book.