Fortifications on the Island of Saint-Honorat

Description

This print forms part of both the King's Topographical Collection, and the collection of Cassiano dal Pozzo. A significant number of prints from the dal Pozzo collection were absorbed into K.Top. in the late 18th century.

The monastery on the island is said to have been founded by St Honoratus around ad 410 and the lettering here tells us that the print was made in the 13th century after that foundation. The print is dedicated to the saint by Louis de Maynier, who seems to have acted for the official abbot, Honoré Claride Pontevès d’Ubraye, from 1632 to 1638 (Tisserand 1874, iv, p. 122).





This information has been transcribed from The Print Collection of Cassiano dal Pozzo: Architecture, Topography and Military Maps by Mark McDonald, Part C.II of The Paper Museum of Cassiano dal Pozzo: A Catalogue Raisonné (3 vols, Royal Collection Trust 2017), Part 2, pp. 497–535.

Full title:
Fortifications on the Island of Saint-Honorat
Published:
1635
Format:
Etching / Engraving
Creator:
Pierre Daret
Usage terms
Public Domain
Held by
British Library
Shelfmark:
Maps K.Top.70.60.

Full catalogue details

Related articles

The collection of Cassiano dal Pozzo at the British Library

Article by:
Mark McDonald
Themes:
Transforming topography, Antiquarianism

Cassiano dal Pozzo's collection of prints and drawings is one of the most important collections of the early modern period. It was an attempt to embrace the entirety of human knowledge through visual media. Mark McDonald reviews some of the prints acquired by George III and now held at the British Library.

Related collection items