This manuscript was used by scholars in 8th-century western Europe to learn Greek. The bulk of the volume is taken up by the Greek–Latin Glossary of Pseudo-Cyril, while additional lists of Latin and Greek words, and a contemporary collection of medical recipes in Latin, are also present. The same scribe wrote both the Greek and the Latin text.
The manuscript belonged to Nicholas of Cues (1401–1464), who bequeathed his library to the Hospital of St Nicholas at Cues on the Mosel river. It was purchased by Edward Harley in the 1720s from Nathaniel Noel, a bookseller employed by Harley to acquire books and manuscripts on the continent. As part of the Harley Collection it is one of the volumes that make up the foundation collections of the British Library.
- Article by:
- Cillian O’Hogan
- The Greek World, Scholarship
After late antiquity, knowledge of Greek declined in Latin-speaking Western Europe. Although Greek would not be taught widely in the West again until the Renaissance, a number of manuscripts indicate that there was interest in learning about Greek letters during the Middle Ages, as Cillian O’Hogan explains.