Hinton Place

Description

This drawing is the only known surviving picture of Hinton Place, which used to stand at Christchurch, on the Hampshire coast. The house, built in 1720 for the Chancellor of the Diocese of Winchester, Sir Peter Mews (about 1672–1726), and was incinerated in a fire in February 1777. 

Full title:
Hinton Place
Created:
1770
Format:
Watercolour / View
Usage terms

Public Domain in most countries other than the UK.

Held by
British Library
Shelfmark:
Maps K.Top.14.73.

Full catalogue details

Related articles

Country houses and The Copper Plate Magazine

Article by:
Jocelyn Anderson
Themes:
Country, Town and city

The King’s Topographical Collection includes dozens of extraordinary albums of images, organised geographically. The images within these volumes, however, vary considerably: some are maps, some are watercolours, and some are prints. Jocelyn Anderson discusses prints of country houses from The Copper Plate Magazine: now spread across George III’s Collection, these views were originally part of a single series.

Hinton Place: a Georgian country house mystery

Article by:
Stephen Gadd
Theme:
Country

The history of Hinton Place, destroyed in a fire in 1777, is retraced by Stephen Gadd through contemporary topographical sources.

Related collection items