This small volume contains fragments of hymns written in the 8th and 9th centuries at the Monastery of St Catherine on Mount Sinai. It is written in the distinctive Sinai-style form, a slanting majuscule (upper-case) script used by the scribes at the monastery at that time. The manuscript is modestly-adorned, with occasional decorated headpieces and initials. It contains hymns for different days of the week, including canons, long poems of nine stanzas. The volume predates the widespread use of musical notation in Byzantine manuscripts, and instead contains marginal indications of specific modes to be used for individual hymns.
The manuscript was acquired at Mount Sinai in the 19th century by the biblical scholar Constantin von Tischendorf (1815–1874), who sold it to the British Museum in 1865.