This manuscript, made in 1291 or 1292 in Thessaloniki, is an important example of Byzantine illumination from mainland Greece. Although there are no miniatures, the lavishly decorated headpieces and initials in the volume are among the best-preserved examples of the art of Theodore Hagiopétritès, who both wrote the text and added the decoration in the manuscript.
The manuscript was commissioned by Gerasimos, a monk in Thessaloniki, and it was still in the same city in the 14th century, when it was presented to a monk named Dositheos by the archon Alexios. It belonged to the Saibante family of Verona in the first half of the 18th century, and was possibly acquired by Charles Burney (1757–1817) along with Burney 105, another Saibante manuscript. Burney’s vast collection of manuscripts, theatrical ephemera, and newspapers was acquired by the British Museum after his death in 1818.