Labour market update February 2013
- Document type
- Corporate author(s)
- Confederation of British Industry
- Date of publication
- 1 February 2013
- Labour Market Update. February 2013
- Trends: economic, social and technology trends affecting business, People management: all aspects of managing people
- Business and management
- Material type
The monthly CBI Labour market update monitors changes in the labour market, which is critical to business given employment levels provide an important indication of the level and growth of economic activity.
The February 2013 issue shows that full-time jobs are being created, but caution on pay grows. Key points include:
- Against a drop in GDP of 0.3%, the labour market ended the last quarter of 2012 on a strong note. Employment rose by 154,000 in the three months to December, up from 90,000 in the three months to November.
- This was driven entirely by people working full-time. Full-time employment increased by an exceptionally strong 198,000, the greatest increase since records began in 1992.
- However the decline in unemployment decelerated at the end of 2012. Unemployment fell by only 14,000, the smallest fall in five months.
- At the same time cautious pay awards, a broadly flat number of vacancies and a rise in redundancies show that, while the labour market is performing relatively well, we are clearly not out of the woods yet.
Related to Trends: economic, social and technology trends affecting business
Downloadable briefing note looking at the relationship between productivity and pay growth
Downloadable paper on ensuring a fair future of work for women
Downloadable paper on how economic insecurity is experienced by workers
Downloadable paper on how government innovation agencies can become better
Related to CBI
Downloadable report giving practical steps to reduce the worst effects of a no deal Brexit
Downloadable report highlighting the actions business and government can take to close the digital skills gap
Getting young people 'work ready': our vision for how education should prepare young people for the modern world
Downloadable report on how education should get young people work ready
Downloadable report outlining CBI’s advice on R&D to government