The Thames' rapidly industrialising shoreline has here been artfully obscured by the large trees of Lambeth Palace gardens and the house to the right, though some has simply been excised in order to concentrate the focus of the image on the palace itself and the church of St. Mary-at-Lambeth (helped by white clouds in a dramatically stormy sky). The frame includes a small vignette of the mitre and crook of the Bishop of Canterbury above, as well as flowers and plants.
This plate was published in William Tombleson's print series Tombleson's Thames.
- Article by:
- Amy Concannon
- Antiquarianism, Town and city, Transforming topography
With important antiquarian sites like Lambeth Palace and places of popular entertainment like Vauxhall Gardens, the London parish of Lambeth was a rich resource for topographical artists and writers at the turn of the 19th century. It was also a landscape in flux: a traditional ‘rural retreat’ on the Surrey side of the Thames undergoing rapid urbanisation. With a particular focus on the work of Lambeth-born topographer Edward Wedlake Brayley (1773–1854), Amy Concannon explores how contemporary producers of topographical material – both visual and textual – negotiated the changing landscape of Lambeth.