Leading with political awareness: developing leaders' skills to manage the political dimension across all sectors: summary
- Document type
- Hartley, Jean; Fletcher, Clive; Wilton, Petra
- Chartered Management Institute
- Date of publication
- 1 June 2007
- Management & leadership: including strategy, public sector management, operations and production
- Business and management
- Material type
This is the summary of research into the political awareness needed by managers from private as well as public sector organisations. The research was based on a survey of 1495 UK managers, focus groups, interviews and follow-up interviews to explore some issues in more depth, conducted in 2007. It addresses several key questions:
• What skills do managers have in managing with political awareness?
• What, if any, are the skills they need to acquire?
• In what contexts do they use political skills?
• Do skills vary by context, type of organisation, and type of manager?
• How do managers develop political skills?
• What should organisations do to develop political skills in their managers?
Findings include mapping what types of work or situation most require political awareness, and insights into how skills are acquired and developed by UK managers.
Related to Management & leadership: including strategy, public sector management, operations and production
Downloadable article on reviewing command structures in light of COVID-19
Downloadable article on what it takes to be a resilient leader during the recovery phase of COVID-19
Downloadable article for leaders on responding to COVID-19