Throughout the 1840s John Gough Nichols, the London printer and antiquary, oversaw the restoration of an incredibly rare set of monumental brasses at Cobham Church in Kent. The antiquary David Elisha Davy had researched and taken rubbings of brasses in his own county of Suffolk. Here Nichols informs Davy that the Cobham brasses had been ‘extremely neglected by the present family (Bligh, Lord Darnley)’, but that the repairs were progressing well.
- Full title:
- Original Letters addressed to Eleazar Davy and David E. Davy; from circa 1750 to 1851
- September 1840
- John Gough Nichols
- © British Library
- Usage terms
- Creative Commons Attribution Non Commercial licence
- Held by
- British Library
- Add MS 19229 ff.173-79
- Article by:
- Julian Pooley
For three generations the Nichols family was central to topographical research and publication. Julian Pooley explores how as editors of the Gentleman’s Magazine, printers of county histories, collectors of manuscripts and founder members of historical societies, John Nichols (1745–1826), John Bowyer Nichols (1779–1863) and John Gough Nichols (1806–1873) were integral to the antiquarian community during a century of change.
- Article by:
- Felicity Myrone
- Antiquarianism, Country, Transforming topography
Felicity Myrone explores how the ‘placing’ of topography and the collections’ perceived status and current accessibility at the British Library is the result of complex and often unintentional sequences of events.