This folio comes from a volume containing Matthew Paris's Lives of the Offas and Deeds of the Abbots of St Albans, written by him at the Abbey of St Albans sometime between 1250 and 1254. The Latin inscription at the top translates as
This is the work of Brother William of the Order of Minors, companion of St Francis, second in that Order, holy in conversation, English by birth.
The drawing dates from c. 1224 with later inking-over added in the mid-13th century.
This manuscript can be viewed in its entirety via our Digitised Manuscripts website.
- Article by:
- James Elliot
- Town and city
What were early topographical views used for? Former British Library maps curator James Elliot explains the origins of town plans, ‘picture maps’ and bird’s eye views.