Notes on the Manor of Bishopstone

Description

These are notes on the village of Bishopstone, Sussex, which Burrell visited during a tour of the county with Francis Grose (1731-91) in May 1777. They start with a list of historical variants of Bishopstone’s name, followed by abstracts relating to lords of the manor and the descent of property. The first abstract comes from the Domesday Book, others come from records in the Tower of London and from Lord Pelham’s deeds, and one comes from Thomas Tanner’s Notitia Monastica (1695). Notes in the bottom margin come from court rolls and the Journals of the House of Lords. Burrell’s notes on St Andrew’s Church in Bishopstone are in the British Library’s Manuscript collection at Add MS 5697, ff.167-9).

Full title:
Notes on the Manor of Bishopstone from Burrell's Manorial Notes
Created:
1777
Format:
Pen and ink / Manuscript
Creator:
William Burrell
Usage terms
Public Domain
Held by
British Library
Shelfmark:
Add. MS 5681, 79v-81

Related articles

Watercolours in William Burrell's Collections

Article by:
John Farrant
Theme:
Antiquarianism

William Burrell’s topographical collections at the British Library include 1,300 watercolours of views, antiquities and buildings, a treasure trove for researchers as John Farrant explains.

Local historians in the 18th century

Article by:
Rosemary Sweet
Themes:
Antiquarianism, Country

Writing local histories was a favourite hobby of many in the 18th century who had spare time, money, and a desire to find out more about their towns and country. Rosemary Sweet examines some of the motivations of local historians and the usefulness of their work for historians today.

Dr William Burrell's 'Intended History of Sussex'

Article by:
John Farrant
Themes:
Antiquarianism, Country

The British Library holds William Burrell’s research materials from the 1770s and 1780s towards a history of Sussex which remained unpublished at his death in 1796. John Farrant explores how his work was of great value to later historians and underpinned the county histories which appeared between 1815 and 1835, while the 1,300 watercolours of views, antiquities and buildings continue to be a treasure trove for researchers.

Related collection items