Long considered as one of the most authoritative works in the history of urban cartography, Nolli’s map of Rome provides details not only of streets and squares, but also of the interiors of public buildings and churches. The project, sponsored by banker Girolamo Belloni, had the support of learned antiquaries belonging to the circles of Cardinal Alessandro Albani and the Corsini family. Although the map was first mentioned in about 1736, the engravers did not start working until 1741 and it was not published until April 1748, with a dedication to Pope Benedict XIV. The allegorical figures and Roman ruins and monuments below were added by Stefano Pozzi (1699-1768). Nolli’s preparatory drawing is now in the library of the Istituto Nazionale di Archeologia e Storia dell’arte in Rome.
Reproduced here, from the King’s Topographical Collection, is part of the map showing the Campo Marzio (formerly Campo Marzo) district of Rome.