This photograph is of West India Regiment soldiers preparing their camp. Major General Charles Howard Foulkes (1875–1969) took the photo while he was serving in the British Army as a 2nd lieutenant in the Royal Engineers in Sierra Leone during the Hut Tax War (1897–99). The photo is part of a larger personal album that Foulkes created during his service in Africa and the Caribbean.
- Full title:
- Folio 19, Photo #3 Pitching tents and preparing camp.
- Photograph / Image / Album
- Charles Howard Foulkes
- © Foulkes collection, Liddell Hart Centre for Military Archives
- Usage terms
© Foulkes collection, Liddell Hart Centre for Military Archives
- Held by
- Liddell Hart Centre for Military Archives
- Foulkes Folio 19
- Article by:
- Tim Lockley, Elizabeth Cooper
Tim Lockley and Elizabeth Cooper delve into the soldiers’ experience, exploring how their daily lives were dominated by routine, discipline and training.