Plan & elevation of the Gothic Cathedral

Description

One of the few non-classical and amongst the more unusual buildings in the gardens at Kew, the construction of the Gothic Cathedral is testament to the growing interest in the art and architecture of the medieval period in the mid and late 18th century. The whimsical structure, with its statues of saints in recessed niches, towers and numerous pinnacles, was designed by Johann Heinrich Müntz, who had previously worked for Horace Walpole and for Thomas Hudson. Built only of plaster and wood, it was continuously repaired until its demolition in 1807.

Gothic style at Kew was reattempted with the construction of a new ‘Crenallated Palace’ in 1801 but the project, designed by James Wyatt, was abandoned after astronomically spiralling building costs and the King’s growing insanity. This plate is part of the King’s Topographical Collection.

Full title:
Plan & Elevation of the Gothic Cathedral. / J. Hen.y Muntz Architectus ; Ja. Noual Sculpt.
Published:
1763, London
Publisher:  
William Chambers
Format:
Etching / Engraving
Creator:
James Noüal
Usage terms
Public Domain
Held by
British Library
Shelfmark:
56.i.3.

Full catalogue details

Related articles

Georgian Country Houses and Gardens

Article by:
Dr Karen Limper-Herz
Theme:
Country

As domestic tourism became fashionable in the 18th century so too did interest in country houses and gardens. Karen Limper-Herz takes a closer look at some of the stately homes, and the publications portraying them, that were particularly popular in this period.

The gardens at Kew

Article by:
Jocelyn Anderson
Theme:
Town and city

From 1757 the royal grounds at Kew were transformed with a fabulous scheme of ornamental buildings and pleasure gardens. Engravings in the King’s Topographical Collection document the project, which was undertaken for George III’s mother Augusta. Jocelyn Anderson explores.

Humphry Repton and John Nash

Article by:
Dr Karen Limper-Herz
Theme:
Transforming topography

In the early 19th century two men influenced the design of the Royal Pavilion at Brighton and its grounds as we know them today – Humphry Repton and John Nash.

Related collection items