This shows additions to the British Museum built in the 1930s to provide space for the Library department. In the central courtyard is the Reading Room and the surrounding bookstacks. At the south-east corner is the White Wing built in the 1880s. To the north is the enlarged North Library and the King Edward VII Building, constructed between 1906 and 1914. This housed among other things the Copyright Receipt Office (Legal Deposit Office), the Music Room and the Map Room.
- Article by:
- Phil Harris
- Antiquarianism, Transforming topography
The King’s Topographical Collection joined an ever-expanding collection at the British Museum. Phil Harris looks at the changes made to the British Museum and British Library to cope with the volume of material they contain.