Solid foundations: attracting institutional investment to homes built for rent
- Document type
- Corporate author(s)
- Confederation of British Industry
- Date of publication
- 1 January 2014
- Trends: economic, social and technology trends affecting business
- Business and management
- Material type
A thriving housing market is an essential part of the UK economy, but for decades we have not delivered enough supply of new homes to meet demand, building less than half the new homes we need. Increasing supply of new homes has to be at the forefront of all political parties’ minds as we approach the general election. As we seek to ramp up supply, it is critical that we recognise the important role that homes built to rent, financed and supported by institutional investors, will increasingly play in the housing market.
The report recommends:
- Recognition of the importance of the private rented sector and the role of institutional investors in supporting build-to-rent schemes.
- Action should be taken to improve scheme viability by reducing upfront costs and helping improve returns for investors.
- Business and government should work together to help provide the scale necessary to attract institutional investment into the sector.
- A regulatory environment needs to be supported which encourages institutional investment into the private rented sector.
Related to Trends: economic, social and technology trends affecting business
Downloadable briefing note looking at the relationship between productivity and pay growth
Downloadable paper on ensuring a fair future of work for women
Downloadable paper on how economic insecurity is experienced by workers
Downloadable paper on how government innovation agencies can become better
Related to CBI
Downloadable report giving practical steps to reduce the worst effects of a no deal Brexit
Getting young people 'work ready': our vision for how education should prepare young people for the modern world
Downloadable report on how education should get young people work ready
Downloadable report highlighting the actions business and government can take to close the digital skills gap
Downloadable report outlining CBI’s advice on R&D to government