This drawing of St George’s Church, Southwark, features a tab of paper over the vaulting which can be lifted to expose the timber-framing above the vault. John Chessell Buckler was part of a committee of leading architects to submit designs for St George’s: a new church built to accommodate growing numbers of Catholic worshipers following Emancipation and the influx of Irish immigrants to working-class districts in Walworth. In the event A. W. N. Pugin’s designs were chosen, and the church was inaugurated in 1848. When Buckler produced his design, the Catholic hierarchy had still not been restored. This happened in 1850 and in 1852, St George's became the Cathedral for the new Catholic Archdiocese of Southwark.