Soon after its inauguration in 1838, the north wing of the new British Museum was completely filled with books. Work on an extension to the west began a few years later in 1842. This was called the Arch Room because of the massive arches which supported the book presses.
- Full title:
- The Large Room and The Arched Room
- 7 June 1851, London
- The Illustrated London News
- Wood engraving
- © The British Museum
- Usage terms
- Creative Commons Attribution Non Commercial Share Alike licence
- Held by
- The British Museum
- Article by:
- Phil Harris
- Antiquarianism, Transforming topography
The King’s Topographical Collection joined an ever-expanding collection at the British Museum. Phil Harris looks at the changes made to the British Museum and British Library to cope with the volume of material they contain.