The Jami Masjid and Buland Darwaza, Fatehpur Sikri

Description

Fatehpur Sikri (the ‘City of Victory’) was for a number of years capital of the Mughal Empire. It was laid out in the late sixteenth century with opulent administrative, residential and religious buildings to serve the needs of the emperor and his courtiers, the army and the city’s inhabitants. One of the most important buildings was the Jami Masjid, depicted here by William Hodges and an unidentified Indian artist working after him. It remains one of the largest mosques in India and features on its south wall a huge ornamental gate called the Buland Darwaza (seen in the middle distance at centre).

William Hodges visited the site from 23 to 26 March, 1783, on his third tour of northern India taken as part of an ambassadorial mission to Agra, and included the view as plate eleven of his Select Views in India in the Years 1780–1783 (178588).

Full title:
Distant view of the Jami Masjid and Buland Darwaza, Fatehpur Sikri; A View of the Ruins of part of the Palace and Mosque at Futty poor Sicri
Published:
[1786-1788] and 1798-1804
Format:
Coloured Aquatint / Watercolour / View
Creator:
William Hodges , Unknown Indian Artist
Held by:
British Library
Copyright:
© British Library
Shelfmark:
X307 (Plate 11) and Add Or 1134

Full catalogue details

Related articles

A global gaze: British artists, landscape spaces, and the wider world in the late 18th century

Article by:
John McAleer
Theme:
Military and maritime

Dr John McAleer explores how both British, and non-European, professional and amateur artists engaged with the British Empire via the medium of landscape art.

Related collection items