Lack of reading room space in the British Museum led Antonio Panizzi (1797-1879), the Keeper of Printed Books, to suggest the building of a new circular room, surrounded by four bookstacks in the central courtyard. Constructed of iron, the new building was designed by Sydney Smirke (1798-18770, brother of Sir Robert, and was built between 1854 and 1857.
- Article by:
- Phil Harris
- Antiquarianism, Transforming topography
The King’s Topographical Collection joined an ever-expanding collection at the British Museum. Phil Harris looks at the changes made to the British Museum and British Library to cope with the volume of material they contain.