Montagu House was built in Bloomsbury by the Duke of Montagu (1638-1709) in 1676. It was rebuilt after a fire in 1686 and was later purchased by the Trustees of the newly founded British Museum in 1755. Until it was demolished in the 1840s Montagu House provided much of the accommodation for the Museum, until the construction of the new building, designed by Sir Robert Smirke (1780-1867), between 1823 and 1845.
- Full title:
- The Buildings of the British Museum. [A short history compiled by Sir F. G. Kenyon.] Illustrated from prints and drawings. Prepared by order of the Trustees on the occasion of the Opening of King Edward the Seventh's Galleries, May, 1914.
- 1914, London
- Facsimilie of copperplate engraving
- John Chessell Buckler
- © British Library
- Usage terms
- Public Domain
- Held by
- British Library
- Article by:
- Phil Harris
- Transforming topography, Antiquarianism
The King’s Topographical Collection joined an ever-expanding collection at the British Museum. Phil Harris looks at the changes made to the British Museum and British Library to cope with the volume of material they contain.