Towards a more productive state
- Document type
- Crowhurst, Elizabeth; Finch, Amy; Harwich, Eleonora
- Date of publication
- 2 November 2015
- Social Policy, Criminal Justice Services
- Social welfare
- Material type
Download (931KB )
This report outlines the limitations of measuring productivity across whole sectors, such as health and education, rather than across organisations, such as hospitals and schools.
It argues for a more coherent approach to reform that considers outcomes, rather than outputs, as the main goal of public services.
This report recommends the following to better understand, and improve, public sector productivity:
- Focus on organisational productivity.
- Adherence to a value for money framework.
- Improved methods and data collection.
Related to Social Policy
Briefing on the outlook for the labour market during the coronavirus
Briefing on the Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme
Related to Reform
Report on data-driven technologies in mental healthcare
Policy briefing on opportunities in advancing technology