The UK Commission’s employer skills survey 2013: UK results. Summary: summary
- Document type
- Winterbotham M.; Vivian D.; Shury J.
- Date of publication
- 1 January 2014
- Evidence Reports. No. 81. Summary
- People management: all aspects of managing people
- Business and management
- Material type
This is a summary of a report on the skills issues being faced by employers in the UK and the actions they are taking to address them.
The survey provides a wealth of data on these issues and investigates change over time on a consistent basis right across the UK labour market.
It highlights some positive trends. However, it also identifies some clear priorities for action.
- Too many organisations find it hard to recruit the skilled people they need
- There is a sharp rise in skills shortages which may be holding back the UK’s economic recovery
- There is evidence of a surplus and mismatch in other areas, with the survey finding that almost half of employers report having staff with skills and qualifications beyond those required for their current job
- There are also indications of pressures on skills investment
- The survey questions whether UK employers are being ambitious enough when it comes to both investing in their people and their broader business strategies
The survey provides valuable insights into the range of skills issues employers are facing and their investment behaviour.
The findings highlight some positive developments that support indications of economic recovery, but they also identify some more concerning trends and priorities for action that need to be addressed if UK businesses are to realise their full potential.
If the UK is to remain competitive in the global context it is vital to ensure that employers across the board are able to make full use of the skills and talents of their people to drive business performance and growth.
Related to People management: all aspects of managing people
Downloadable spotlight looking at violations of labour market rights
Downloadable guide outlining how to comply with equality legislation
Downloadable report investigating global family businesses
Related to UKCES
Downloadable report presenting the learning from the evaluation of the UK Futures Programme
Evaluation of UK futures programme: final report on productivity challenge 4: skills for innovation in manufacturing
Downloadable evaluation of the UK Futures Programme 4th Productivity Challenge
Downloadable report summarising the projects making up the UK Futures Programme 4th Productivity Challenge
Evaluation of UK futures programme: final report on productivity challenge 3: pay and progression pathways in hospitality and retail
Downloadable evaluation of the UK Futures Programme 3rd Productivity Challenge