This report provides strategic labour market intelligence on skills needs in one of the key industrial sectors of the UK.
The report examines recent changes in the wholesale and retail sector and the implications for future skills and training needs.
Seven key performance challenges are identified for the sector:
- Attracting talent
- The perceived image of the sector
- Staff retention and progression
- Leadership and management training
- Enhanced customer service
- Responding to IT developments through business development, and
- New forms of sales and marketing.
The research draws on an extensive literature review and analysis of the latest Employer Skills Survey as well as drawing on the insights of employers and stakeholders through interviews.
It provides new intelligence on the current state of play and the future of skills and training in retail and wholesale.
The insights will support business leaders, policy makers and those charged with shaping the skills and training landscape to maximise to contribution that retail and wholesale can make to economic success in the UK.