This item is featured in:
Why call centres suck, and what we can do about it
- Document type
- Harrowell, Alex
- Date of publication
- 26 January 2016
- Social Policy, Education and Skills, Employment
- Social welfare
- Material type
This report looks at ways the UK could improve its call centres to increase productivity and create jobs.
- There is currently too much tech policy focused on glamorous tech companies.
- If we want to increase productivity and create good jobs, we need to think about how to transform big technology-using sectors.
- Call centres, which employ a million people across the country, are a prime candidate for innovation.
- The government could help by investing to support service design and upskilling in this major industry.
- The Government should invest in innovation and skills in the call centre sector.
- It should consider setting up a council on industrial service design to co-fund research and development in big service industries.