The 16th century saw increasing interest in the writings of the Church Fathers. One of the earliest Christian theologians was Justin Martyr (100-165). Only a few works definitely by him survive, but many more works were attributed to him in the manuscript tradition. This manuscript contains both types of work, along with several other short Greek texts, mostly edicts by Roman emperors.
Somewhat unusually for a Greek manuscript, we know a great deal about the ownership history of this volume. It was created by the scribe George Kokolos in Venice in 1541, most likely at the request of Guillaume Pelicier (c. 1490–1568), a French prelate and diplomat, who brought the volume back to France with him. From there it passed through various hands, including the Collège de Clermont in Paris, before ultimately being acquired by Sir Thomas Phillipps (1792–1872), the great 19th-century collector of books and manuscripts. After Phillipps’ death it was inherited by the Fenwick Trust, who deposited the manuscript along with others belonging to Phillipps in the British Museum in 1949. It was purchased by the British Library in 2006.