The modern families index 2018
- Document type
- Corporate author(s)
- Working Families (Organization : Great Britain)
- Working Families
- Date of publication
- 19 January 2018
- People management: all aspects of managing people
- Business and management
- Material type
The Modern Families Index is the most comprehensive survey of how working families manage the balance between work and family life in the UK.
Key findings include:
- Parents are working far beyond their contracted hours.
- These long hours are causing damage - on time spent together as a family and on parental relationships and wellbeing.
- Many families aren’t even ‘just about managing’ - with neither the time nor money they need.
- Working parents are taking significant action including deliberately stalling their careers. This is evidence of a ‘parenthood penalty’.
- The right to request flexible working has not gone far enough to deliver work life balance for families.
Related to People management: all aspects of managing people
Downloadable guide on making concrete and measurable commitments to women in the workplace
Downloadable report on what the 2018 Modern Families Index findings mean for employers
Downloadable position paper setting out four reforms that would help more families benefit from shared parental leave