- Comedies (1)
- Context (1)
- Deception drama and misunderstanding (1)
- Elizabethan England (1)
- Ethnicity and identity (1)
- Gender and sexuality (1)
- Gender sexuality courtship and marriage (1)
- Global Shakespeare (1)
- Histories (1)
- Interpretations of Madness (1)
- Language and ideas (3)
- Language word play and text (1)
- Magic illusion and the supernatural (1)
- Poetry (1)
- Politeness sensibility and sentimentalism (3)
- Poverty and the working classes (1)
- Power and politics (2)
- Rise of the novel (1)
- Romanticism (1)
- Satire and humour (4)
- Theatre and entertainment (2)
- Tragedies (1)
Showing 6 results
Book, Engraving, Print, Illustration, Image
In 1789, the publisher John Boydell opened the Shakespeare Gallery, an exhibition space in London’s Pall Mall showcasing...
Painting, Image Created date: 1760
This intriguing portrait of Laurence Sterne was made in 1760, soon after the first two volumes of Tristram Shandy were...
Painting, Image Created date: c. 1770
This portrait of the novelist and playwright Dr Oliver Goldsmith (1728?–1774) was painted by the foremost portrait artis...
Painting, Image Created date: 1788-89
Richard Brinsley Sheridan (1751‒1816) was very famous in his day, first as a dramatist and theatre manager, and then as...
Painting, Image Created date: 1756‒1757
This portrait of Samuel Johnson, posing with a quill and paper, was painted shortly after his famous Dictionary was pub...
Book, Manuscript annotation
This three-volume book contains a large number of essays on art by the major 18th-century painter, Sir Joshua Reynolds (...