- Antiquarianism (1)
- Art (6)
- Buddhism (1)
- Christianity (1)
- Comedies (2)
- Context (2)
- Deception drama and misunderstanding (1)
- Devotional texts (4)
- Elizabethan England (2)
- Ethnicity and identity (1)
- Faith and religion (1)
- Form and genre (1)
- Gender and sexuality (1)
- Gender sexuality courtship and marriage (4)
- Hinduism (2)
- Histories (2)
- Illuminated texts (1)
- Islam (6)
- Jainism (2)
- Judaism (2)
- Language and voice (2)
- Language word play and text (1)
- Living Texts (4)
- Magic illusion and the supernatural (1)
- Medieval origins (1)
- People and writing (1)
- Pilgrimage text and place (1)
- Poetry (1)
- Power and politics (5)
- Religion (3)
- Renaissance writers (4)
- Sacred texts (5)
- Scholarship (4)
- The Greek World (5)
- The makers of Greek manuscripts (6)
- Town and city (1)
- Tragedies (3)
- Transforming topography (1)
- Zoroastrianism (1)
- al Qazwīnī, Zakarīyā ibn Muḥammad (1)
- Alcaeus (author) (1)
- Anacreon (author) (1)
- Angelos Bergikios (scribe) (1)
- anonymous (1)
- Aristeas Judaeus (author) (1)
- Athenaeus (author) (1)
- Farīd al Dīn ʻAttar (1)
- Francesco di Lorenzo Rosselli (1)
- George Kokolos (scribe) (1)
- Giovanni Matteo Contarini (1)
- Heron of Alexandria (author) (3)
- Ibycus (author) (1)
- Ioannes Nathanael (scribe) (1)
- Isḥāq ibn Ibrāhīm al Naysābūrī (1)
- Johannes Cuno (scribe) (1)
- John Kladas (composer) (1)
- John Lydgate (1)
- John Mauromates (scribe) (1)
- Justin Martyr (author) (1)
- Kamāl al Dīn Ḥusayn Gāzurgāhī (1)
- Laonikos Chalkokondyles (author) (1)
- Leonardo da Vinci (1)
- Manuel Chrysaphes (composer) (1)
- Manuel Philes (author) (1)
- Marco Musuro (scribe) (1)
- Margaret Douglas (1)
- Mary Fitzroy (1)
- Mary Shelton (1)
- Muḥyī Lārī [Muhyi Al Din Lari] (1)
- Richard Baines (1)
- Richard Pynson (1)
- Sappho (author) (1)
- Stesichorus (author) (1)
- Thomas Kyd (1)
- Unknown (4)
- Zacharias Kalliergis (scribe) (1)
Showing 41 results
The Haram at Mecca with the Kaʻbah in the centre, from a manuscript of Futūḥ al-Ḥaramayn, a poetical description of the...
A deluxe copy of the Majālis al-ʻushshāq (‘Assemblies of lovers’), a collection of seventy-six biographies of Sufi saint...
These notorious manuscripts appear to support the idea of Christopher Marlowe as the wild boy of Elizabethan literature....
An illustrated copy of the 13th-century writer al-Qazwīnī’s ʻAjāʼib al-makhlūqāt (‘Wonders of creation’) produced in the...
The 15th and 16th centuries saw an outburst of scholarly interest in Greek literature in western Europe. The arrival of...
The 3rd-century CE author Athenaeus is known today for his long work, the Deipnosophistae (‘Dinner Sophists’). This work...
The original binding of Additional 28821, a volume containing Byzantine musical texts, is now kept separately, having de...
The catena, a biblical commentary that proceeds verse by verse, was a popular interpretative tool in the Byzantine world...
An illustrated palm-leaf manuscript of the Devī Māhātmya, a devotional text in praise of Durgā. Made in Bhaktapur, Nepal...
This map, produced just a decade after Christopher Columbus’ voyage to the New World, is the earliest known printed worl...
Ongoing developments in Greek music resulted in the appearance of the ‘kalophonic’ (beautiful-sounding) style of chant. ...
The Byzantine poet Manuel Philes (c. 1275–c. 1345) is best known now for his work De Animalium Proprietate (‘On the Natu...
The treatises of Hero of Alexandria (mid-1st century CE) on pneumatics and automata were hugely popular in the Byzantine...
Codex of Ketuvim (‘Writings’, the third division of the Hebrew Bible), in Hebrew, Aramaic and Judeo-Arabic. The transla...
Scroll, Prayer book, Manuscript, Manuscript, Illuminated manuscript, Illustration, Image
Owned by Henry VIII as a young man, this is one of the finest surviving late medieval prayer rolls. The manuscript Meas...