- Capturing and creating the modern (1)
- Civilians (33)
- European influence (1)
- Historical debates (17)
- Life as a soldier (6)
- Music and place (1)
- Music for stage and screen (1)
- Music politics and society (1)
- Origins outbreak and conclusions (7)
- Performance and reception (1)
- Power and conflict (1)
- Propaganda (22)
- Race empire and colonial troops (3)
- Representation and memory (23)
- The war machine (5)
- Wounding and medicine (1)
- Gabriele D'Annuzio (1)
- Gisbert Combaz (3)
- Gustave Flasschoen (1)
- herbert Rikli (1)
- James Bryce (1)
- James Thiriar (1)
- Julius Klinger (1)
- Kazimir Malevich (1)
- Leo Schnug (1)
- Samuel Solomonovich Koteliansky (1)
- Sergio Canevari (2)
- Unknown (1)
- unknown [photographer] (1)
- Vaslav Nijinsky (1)
- Vittorio Cuttin (1)
- Vladimir Mayakovsky (1)
- Walter John Ingram (1)
- Biblioteca Nazionale Centrale di Firenze (2)
- Biblioteca Nazionale Centrale di Roma (1)
- Bibliotheque Nationale et Universitaire de Strasbourg (1)
- British Library (18)
- Det Konglige Bibliotek (7)
- Istituto Centrale per il Catalogo Unico (5)
- Koninklijke Bibliotheek van Belgie Bibliotheque Royale de Belgique (8)
- Oesterreichische Nationalbibliothek (3)
- Staatsbibliothek zu Berlin (2)
Showing 48 results
This is a print showing Vittorio Emanuele III on a horse encouraging his bersaglieri (marksmen) to assault and cross the...
In 1917 the Creditanstalt, the largest bank of the Danube monarchy and founded by the Austrian branch of the Rothschild...
In World War One, for the first time, whole nations and not merely professional armies were in mortal combat. Propaganda...
The eighth Austrian war bond, or loan, from May 1918, was also the last. A ninth war bond was planned for the autumn of...
This illustration shows a confrontation between a rooster (symbol of Wallonia, the southern French-speaking region of Be...
What is this? The start of the First World War saw the publication of large amounts of supportive, patriotic ephemera ...
From August 1914 Belgium and its population was under German military occupation. The occupation was particularly contro...
This poster was used to attract subcribers for the 7th War Bond in Alsace. It’s a creation by Leo Schnug, an Alsatian il...
In this French poster of 1918 for the 4th National Defence Loan, the Gallic cockerel and the Imperial German eagle face...
Russian lubok war images are very direct, illustrated news stories. The caption under this image contains information on...
This picture shows the handing out of Dannebrog, the Danish flag, to people in the city of Flensburg during the days run...
This French poster tried to prove that the crimes committed by the German army against civilian populations were premedi...
This huge banner in Flensburg urged people, in German, to vote in favour of Danish rule over German. A majority of 75% v...
This anti-German propaganda poster is a rare example. The scene depicted shows how the people would be destroyed if Ital...
This is a postcard of a woman, dressed in the American flag to symbolise the US, welcoming Belgian refugees. There is of...