- 20th century drama and theatre (3)
- Art music and popular culture (1)
- Capturing and creating the modern (1)
- Civilians (10)
- Exploring identity (2)
- Fear (1)
- Gender sexuality courtship and marriage (1)
- Historical debates (23)
- Language word play and text (1)
- Life as a soldier (40)
- Literature 1900 1950 (1)
- Look deeper (1)
- Origins outbreak and conclusions (7)
- Poetry (1)
- Power and conflict (4)
- Propaganda (3)
- Race empire and colonial troops (25)
- Renaissance writers (1)
- Representation and memory (11)
- The war machine (25)
- Theatre practitioners and genres (1)
- Wounding and medicine (6)
- Arthur Graeme West (1)
- Aylmer Gould Hunter Weston (1)
- Bernard Adams (1)
- Charles Hilton DeWitt Girdwood (5)
- David McLellan (1)
- Ernest Brooks (Lieutenant) (1)
- Isaac Rosenberg (1)
- J B Priestley (2)
- Karl Ewald Olszewski (1)
- Kazimir Malevich (1)
- Kenneth Cameron (1)
- Luigi Camposampiero (1)
- Roland Gerard Garvin (2)
- Rupert Brooke (1)
- Siegfried Sassoon (1)
- The War Office (1)
- Virginio Mazzelli (1)
- Vladimir Mayakovsky (1)
- Wilfred Owen (1)
- Berlin Janke (1)
- Berlin Photographisches Verlags Bro Eduard Schlag (1)
- Berlin Verlag von Griebens Reisefhrern Albert Goldschmidt (1)
- Breslau Hirt (1)
- Breslau Priebatsch (1)
- Chatto and Windus (1)
- French Army Photography services Bas Rhin Department (1)
- Girdwood Collection (5)
- Holbein Verlag (1)
- The Tribune Press New Brunswick (1)
- Biblioteca Nazionale Centrale di Firenze (4)
- Bibliothèque nationale de France (3)
- Bibliotheque Nationale et Universitaire de Strasbourg (2)
- British Library (23)
- Imperial War Museums (1)
- Istituto Centrale per il Catalogo Unico (1)
- Koninklijke Bibliotheek van Belgie Bibliotheque Royale de Belgique (2)
- Oesterreichische Nationalbibliothek (1)
- Staatsbibliothek zu Berlin (6)
- University of Bradford J B Priestley Archive (2)
Showing 47 results
Book, Poem, Drawing
1914 & Other Poems was published shortly after Rupert Brooke died of blood poisoning on his way to the Dardanelles in Tu...
This photograph shows an officer in his hut, which is dug into the side of a trench. The walls are reinforced with sandb...
This photograph is from a collection known as the Valois Albums, created during and after World War One. It was taken on...
‘Break of Day in the Trenches’, here just titled ‘In the Trenches’, is one of Isaac Rosenberg’s best known poems. Rosenb...
This photograph shows daily life on the frontline. A British soldier is washing in the stagnant water that has collected...
Today’s men are often able to cook well, partly as a result of the emancipation process and changes to role perceptions ...
What does the drawing reveal about daily life in the trenches? Sir Aylmer Gould Hunter Weston was a Major General durin...
This wartime recipe book proved very popular among Italian families during World War One. The recipes, provided by the I...
What does the diary extract show about daily life in the trenches? Captain Roland Gerard Garvin was in charge of D Comp...
The French Prime Minister Georges Clémenceau played a key role at the Peace Conference held in Versailles in June...
Book, Photograph, Illustration
These photographs show an idealised view of the Front, aimed at schoolchildren and teachers. The soldiers are sitting in...
Musical score, Illustration
The cover of this piece of music is decorated with the national personification of Italy, Italia turrita: a young woman...
This photograph shows a group of Highland Territorial soldiers in a trench, armed with bayonets. Several of them are wea...
What is this? Published 20 years after the end of the First World War this is an account of one of the four main hospita...
In this photograph we can see Indian soldiers digging a trench, which is then reinforced with sandbags and protected by...