- Art music and popular culture (1)
- Capturing and creating the modern (1)
- Comedies (2)
- Context (6)
- Deception drama and misunderstanding (7)
- Elizabethan England (1)
- Ethnicity and identity (1)
- European influence (1)
- Gender sexuality courtship and marriage (11)
- Global Shakespeare (3)
- Histories (2)
- Interpretations of Madness (7)
- Language word play and text (5)
- Literature 1900 1950 (1)
- Magic illusion and the supernatural (4)
- Poetry (5)
- Popular culture (1)
- Power and politics (6)
- Renaissance writers (2)
- Tragedies (11)
- Cecil Beaton (1)
- Edward Gordon Craig (1)
- François Boitard [illustrator] (1)
- G Scharf [illustrator] (1)
- J K Meadows (1)
- J R Planché (1)
- Johann Caspar Lavater (1)
- John Dover Wilson [editor] (1)
- Lafayette [photographer] (1)
- Nicholas Rowe [editor] (1)
- Robert Harrison [translator] (1)
- Robert Burton (1)
- Unknown (1)
- William Shakespeare (4)
Showing 11 results
This is the earliest surviving printed version of William Shakespeare’s play Hamlet. There are only two copies of this b...
The huge and encyclopaedic Anatomy of Melancholy was produced by the English clergyman Robert Burton (1577–1640). It exp...
Book, Illustration, Image
James Robinson Planché, playwright and theatre producer, was the first professional to introduce carefully resear...
Book, Woodcut, Illustration, Image
This 1930 edition of Hamlet, illustrated by Edward Gordon Craig, is often regarded as the most bold and ambitious exampl...
Ludwig Lavater was a Swiss Reformed theologian and prolific author. His book on demonology – De spectris, lemuribus et m...
Die Hamletmaschine (Hamletmachine), is an adaptation of Shakespeare’s Hamlet written in 1977 by Heiner Müller. A lifelon...
These photographs show the actors John Gielgud (1904–2000), his close friend Peggy Ashcroft (1907–1991), Leslie Banks an...
The world-famous actor Sarah Bernhardt (1844–1923) cross-dressed to play the role of Hamlet in 1899. This postcard shows...
This anonymous play, A Warning for Faire Women, is a domestic tragedy based on a real Elizabethan murder case. In 1573 ...
This is a copy of the ‘second quarto’, one of the three early modern printed editions of Shakespeare’s Hamlet. What does...
Book, Quarto, Engraving, Illustration, Image
This is the first illustrated edition of The works of Mr. William Shakespear (1709), a beautiful set of six volumes edit...